Turkey Hunting in Illinois
October 26, 2018- Illinois Turkey Hunting Report- We had a great spring turkey season this year in Illinois and the spring season of 2019 is looking to be an even better one. We saw several jakes this past spring season and have been spotting several healthy hatches of poults throughout the summer and fall. The 2019 turkey season here in Illinois is going to be one to remember! The first drawing is coming up to get tags soon, now is the time to book!
Turkey Hunting at Heartland Lodge
Heartland Lodge was designed with you, the hunter, in mind. Enjoy turkey hunting in Pike County, Illinois. An abundance of CRP fields mixed with fields of milo and hardwoods present habitat ideal for turkey hunting.
Turkey hunting at Heartland is a favorite among hunters visiting the lodge. This area has a long tradition of turkey hunting. You will enjoy this turkey hunting lodge with three hearty home-cooked meals every day. After the hunt, relax next to the large stone fireplace in our Great Room or enjoy a game of pool in our recreation room. The relaxing atmosphere of the lodge is something you will look forward to after each full day of hunting.
A Turkey Hunting Tradition
Your stay with us is more than a turkey hunt. It’s part of a strong hunting tradition that started back when Heartland’s owner, Gary Harpole, was a child. Each year new traditions are being created by our guests. It’s our hope that you create your own memories at Heartland with your family or friends and carry on a tradition that started many years ago.
Click the sections below for more information.
At Heartland, we hunt a mixture of steep hills, rolling hills, pastures, crop fields, and river bottoms. During your 3-day turkey hunt, you may hunt many of these different terrains. The physical demands of your hunt can vary from mild to challenging but our turkey hunting guides are more than happy to accommodate your physical limitations and hunting style.
Turkey Hunting Packages
Three-Night, Three-Day Hunts – Arrive the night before between 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
We have an abundance of free-roaming wild turkeys on our thousands of acres. Your guide will take you on the hunt of a lifetime in some of the most beautiful country that Illinois turkey hunting has to offer. It is a one-on-one hunt with our very friendly and qualified guides, whose mission is your success and enjoyment.
For all turkey tags you need to contact the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR). Please call 217-782-7305 to have the application sent to you, or visit them online at http://dnr.state.il.us.
Youth turkey hunts are a great way to get kids involved in hunting. Our spring turkey hunts are normally very successful, providing a positive experience for a youth hunter. For more information on our youth hunts, go to our youth turkey hunting page.
- Most mature gobblers weigh between 20-24 lbs. and have 3/4″- 1 1/2″ spurs and beard lengths of 8″-12″. Illinois turkey hunts are for the “Eastern” Sub-species and 100% wild.
- Legal shooting time requires us to quit hunting at 1:00 p.m. This leaves you plenty of time to relax and enjoy some of the other activities that Heartland has to offer. Sporting clays, wing shooting, and mushroom hunting are a few of the activities you can participate in.
- We limit our turkey hunters to eight hunters per week to assure a quality hunt for everyone.
- All hunts are fully guided. Guides will do the calling and the hunters are welcome to call if they would like.
- We hunt on thousands of acres located in Pike and Calhoun Counties.
- The average opportunity rate is approximately 90%.
- We encourage the harvest of mature gobblers only. Jakes are permitted for a first time turkey hunter only.
- Bows are legal.
- Shotguns must be 10 – 20 gauge.
- Shot shells must be no larger than 4 shot and no smaller than 6 shot.
- All guns must be plugged and not able to hold more than 3 shells at a time.
- Hunters may harvest a second bird for an additional $500 if a second permit is held by the hunter for the same season.
- Care of your bird is handled by your guide.
Please call our office at 1-800-717-4868 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book turkey hunting reservations. Rates starting as low as $1,495.
Where Are We?
Heartland Lodge is in Pike County, Illinois, northeast of St. Louis, Missouri and southwest of Springfield, Illinois. Click here for directions and a map.
A payment of 50% of your total hunt is due when making your reservations.
If you cancel before January 1st of year arriving at Harpole’s Heartland Lodge, your deposit will be refunded less 10% of total hunt. No refunds are given after January 1st of the year of the scheduled hunt.
Lambert St. Louis International Airport is the closest major airport. For private planes, Quincy and Pittsfield airports are the closest. Visit our directions page for directions for driving to the lodge.
|Spring Turkey Hunts|
|Youth Only Season: Two night, two day spring turkey hunt||$1,000|
|Three night, three day spring turkey hunt||$1,495|
|* Includes guides, meals, & accommodations|
- Illinois turkey hunting license
- Your bow or gun and case
- Gore-Tex or raingear
- Full camouflage clothing including face mask and gloves
- Turkey calls (Optional)
- Turkey vest or cushion (Optional)
- Binoculars (Optional)
- Camera (Optional)
- Cooler (Optional)
- Slippers or heavy socks (Shoes are removed in mud room)
- Good tick and bug repellent
Harpole’s Heartland Lodge strives to give our guests the best experience possible. We understand that your upcoming trip is a significant investment. We offer trip insurance through North America’s leading provider of Travel Insurance called “Travel Guard”.
There are many circumstances that could change your plans. Please take a few minutes to learn how you can protect yourself. If you choose to decline this valuable coverage, you are assuming any financial loss associated with a cancellation or a change in your travel arrangements.